When trying to master the ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie, recipe testing could go on for days and days... (we're not complaining!).
I often whip up these delicious delights after dinner, they are super quick and easy to make. Not too sweet, perfectly moreish and keep hungry boyfriends with cookie cravings very happy!!
I have used the yummy, vegan Raw Halo chocolate for the chocolate chip chunks in this recipe. Raw Halo is lovingly made using the finest organic Peruvian raw cacao, coconut sugar, and other natural ingredients – it is literally glowing with goodness. With a tingle of Himalayan salt, added cashew nut butter and lucuma powder for a creamy taste, you’ll be struggling to get the chocolate into the actual cookie dough before munching the whole lot!
Their Peruvian criolla cacao is renowned for being the very best; it's rich and fruity and leaves no bitter aftertaste, meaning only a small amount of unrefined coconut sugar is used to sweeten the chocolate.
Makes 1 dozen cookies, easily doubled.
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed 3 tablespoons water 130g almond butter (I love Pip and Nut Smooth) 65g coconut sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted and cooled) 45g ground almonds
45g desiccated coconut 1/8 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
sprinkling of pumpkin seeds
sprinkling of sesame seeds 45g chopped Raw Halo Mylk + Pink Himalayan Salt chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water. Mix and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
3. Add the almond butter, coconut sugar, vanilla and coconut oil to the flax mixture and beat with a spoon until creamy.
4. Add the ground almonds, desiccated coconut, baking soda and baking powder to the batter and mix until the dough begins to come together - then add the sprinkling of pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and Raw Halo chopped chocolate. Finish mixing.
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper, and scoop the sticky dough into roughly 12 equal-ish cookie dough mounds. Roll into balls, and press down gently to form into thick disks.
6. Bake for 8 minutes, for a soft and chewy cookie.
7. Allow to cool slightly (if you can!!!). They will be soft out of the oven. Enjoy a few warm and store any leftover that have fully cooled in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer... They may keep longer in there than looking at you on your worktop ;)
Notes: You may want to use 90g of oat flour instead of the desiccated coconut and ground almonds. To get a much richer, chewier cookie use less of the oat flour. Hazelnut butter instead of almond also works really well. Cacao powder can also be added to the mix for a double choc chip extravaganza!
Raw Halo is stocked in Planet Organic, Whole Foods Market, Holland and Barrett, Waitrose and Ocado.
Have a read of this article from the Raw Halo blog to find out 10 things only true chocoholics know to be true...